Frequently Asked Questions


What is a DBE?
A DBE is a for-profit small business concern that is at least 51 percent owned by one or more individuals who are both socially and economically disadvantaged.

In the case of a corporation, 51 percent of the stock is owned by one or more such individuals; and, whose management and daily business operations are controlled by one or more of the socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who own it.

What is the DBE Program?
The DBE program is a federal program operating under the guidance of the united States Department of Transportation.  Authorization for the program comes from 49 Code of Federal Regulations.  Part 26 (49 CFR 23).  The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT), Federal Register 49 CFR Parts 23 and 26.

How can I meet the prime contractors in order to give them quotes?
To give quotes to prime contractors, attend the DBE meetings held at the Hilton Hotel and Convention Center located on County Line Rd. in Jackson and the Holiday Inn North each month on the 4th Monday before the letting.

How do I find out about MDOT’s jobs and get some information about the projects?
To find out about jobs or request more information about projects, you should request the monthly notice that is disseminated by the Contract Administration Division. You can also contact Systems Consultants Associations, Inc. at 601.212.0297 to obtain more information.

Can I work on federal projects if I am not certified with the Mississippi Unified Certified Program?
Yes, you may work on federal projects if you are not certified. However, your work would not count towards the prime contractors DBE project goal.

Do I have to have a contractors licenses in order to work on MDOT projects?
No, you do not have to have a contractors license to work on federally assisted contracts. However, you must have a Certificate of Responsibility (C.O.R)., if your subcontract is $50,000 or more on state-funded projects.

How long does it take me to get paid after I have completed my work?
Under the new DBE regulations, you should be paid within 15 days after MDOT pays the prime contractor for your items.

Do I have to pay my employees more than the minimum wage to work on MDOT projects?
Federal minimum wage rates must be paid when working on Federally assisted projects, as posted on the project bulletin boards. State funded projects require the contractor to pay the national minimum wage.